A comprehensive land-, sea-, and space-grant university, UNH is the state's flagship public university and is ideally located in the rural town of Durham, with ready access to the Maine and New Hampshire seacoasts, Boston, and the White Mountains. The University actively creates and nurtures a dynamic learning environment in which qualified individuals of differing perspectives, life experiences and cultural backgrounds pursue goals with mutual respect and shared spirit of inquiry. UNH has just under 13,000 undergraduate students and 2,200 graduate students.
The Research Specialist position will serve as part of the Institutional Research & Assessment (IR&A) team. The Analyst will be primarily responsible for capturing data from the UNH data system, providing data to the IR&A office, and creating data reports using different tools such as SQL, SAS, SPSS, WEBi, Tableau or Excel.
We are seeking applicants who are trained in the essential types of data extraction, data reporting, and data visualization skills. However, the successful candidate will be one who can extend practical solutions to the overall development of institutional effectiveness by gathering, analyzing, and presenting data in an inviting way to a broad audience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work closely with the IR&A Director to conduct strategically important data projects including building comprehensive frozen data sets.
• Design and develop ad hoc processes to provide timely responses to requests for data from potentially any UNH unit or department
• Build complex data extraction streams to extract the necessary data models required for building dashboards and predictive models
• Build interactive dashboards using Tableau and integrate predictive models into those dashboards
• Maintain Tableau Server by allocating users, setting proper user access, security, and creating refresh schedules
• Actively work on automating reporting and related reporting processes using reporting tools available
• Perform related duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree
Acceptable minimum years of experience: 3-5 years
Other minimum qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree and 3 years of experience, Master's degree and 1 years of experience, or a combination of education and experience equal to 7 years or above—with preference for degree in computer science, management information system, or industrial engineering with strong research experience
• Comprehensive information technology skills as required by department/unit specifically to include ability in Tableau and Excel.
• Experience in building complex dashboards using Tableau Desktop.
• Proven record of being highly self-motivated and able to take directions
• Proven ability to be flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and using new technologies
• Keen attention to details in analysis, validation, and documentation.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Proficiency in WEBi and/or SQL
• Proficiency working with SAS/SPSS and R
• Proven understanding of Business Intelligence concepts and supporting technologies—experience analyzing higher education data is a plus
• Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
• Demonstrated excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.